Sheila Harris, PhD - Phoenix Chapter Member and Immediate past President of LAI,
Sheila D. Harris, PhD is a consultant in the field of housing affordability. She is also the Immediate Past International President of LAI and has served on the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. Phoenix has been her home since 1977.
On April 21, 2023, the LAI Global Initiatives Committee hosted the Housing Affordability – The Missing Middle Global Webinar, the first in a series of presentations focused on housing affordability; the superb, well-attended webinar was orchestrated Sheila Harris, PhD, Immediate past President of LAI International and moderated by Golden Gate Chapter member Carol Galante, founder of the Terner Center for Housing Innovation at UC Berkeley.
After Sheila’s warm welcome, Carol introduced the prestigious panel of experts from the U.S. and Canada:
• Dan Parolek, founding Principal of Opticos Design, Inc.
• Dr. Ann McAfee, member of Canada’s National Housing Council.
• Jonathan Fearn (replacing Denise Pinkston) member of The Casita Coalition.
Ann McAfee, PhD
Presentations focused on success stories and the challenges that exist for those needing livable, affordable housing options.
The full 90-minute webinar is available for viewing on the LAI TV. Sheila prepared an excellent panel-presentation-overview document that included the empowering Q&A session. The overview document is available for download HERE.
Below are the links to download the respective PPT presentations:
• Dan Parolek: Missing Middle Housing
• Dr. Ann McAfee: Implementing Missing Middle Housing Choices - Vancouver, Canada
• Jonathan Fearn, California’s “ADU Resolution”